Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Castleton Diaries: Week 2- Emus, Printers, and the European Invasion

Wednesday, June 4th:
So much has occurred since I began my stay. Most of it was paperwork. I have more hours than I have ever thought it humanly possible in front of a computer and a copy machine/printer. I have probably hit a thousand pages of music within first five days, probably exceeding 2000 at some point. Honestly, I have lost count. But what I do know is that I have printed out thousands of pages of sheet music for Don Giovanni and Madama Butterfly. This afternoon, we managed to do the setup for tomorrow’s first rehearsal. Finally, I could have a break from the long cycle of buttons on the computer screen: Scan, Choose printer, Scan, rotate, crop, scan, Choose printer, Scan, crop, rotate….etc. Waiting hours at the printer for collated, double sided parts to finish so I don’t get lost when organizing them. I started saying the mantra from Fight Club, “Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy…..”.
The majority of the musicians arrived today. I have the joy of sharing the house with some of them. One horn player who now shares the common room with my fellow interns and me is from NY. Finally, I am not alone! But surprisingly, three of my new housemates are from none other than the Royal College of Music (RCM) in London, England. Yes, the British are here! Living with us in the house are a horn player, cellist, and violinist. I’ve been spending the past day and a half showing them around and showing them some of our American customs. One of those customs is Cards Against Humanities. What an interesting game that was. Equal parts awkward and hilarious. But it did the job of bridging the gap and getting to know how crazy we all truly are. But honestly, these are some good people and I can’t wait to hear them in rehearsal. I just wish I were going to be playing with them. We also got to bond over a never-ending shower faucet. For at least an hour this morning, the water would not stop running from the shower. Luckily we got the plumbers to come while we were out for the day.
            Moving on from People and Things, I move on to Places. Specifically, I speak of the trails surrounding the property at Castleton. One leads to a small lake and tennis courts. Nothing too exciting. The paths were so steep that it was a thrill and and danger to go down, but a struggle to get back up. Boy did my calves feel sore after that. The other path was longer and quite exciting. I went through the woods and past many of the houses. Past the cows and deer, I rode on, fearing for my life as I sped downhill on many a winding and twisting roads. At the end of the path, I came across Maestro Maazel’s estate. It was huge, simple, but forboding. And there they were…Emus! There were at least four of them, sharing a plot of fenced off land. Strutting around like they owned the place. At this point, I was exhausted and running low on water, so I decided to head back. It was absolutely beautiful. I hope to do it again with a GoPro if I can acquire one.
            The most beautiful view experienced in my time here so far has not been during the day, but at night. In Castleton, there is no city afterglow that prevents one from seeing the eternal beauty of the night sky. Every star is visible, and the fireflies fill the air with a spectacular light show that can only be described as fantastic. It is the true side of paradise that I have seldomed seen before. Even as a Boy Scout, I never got to enjoy a night so peaceful and beautiful as the one following my bike ride. For once, I actually longed to sleep under that beautiful black sky, dotted with the ghosts of ancient stars. It was pure and absolute beauty in the plainest sense.
Near the End of Day

            With the majority of the preparations done, tomorrow’s rehearsal will actually be something to look forward to instead of being stuck at the printer all day. We will just have to see...

Friday, June 6th
            What a busy couple of days it has been. The actual rehearsals have begun, though in sectionals. But the musicians are here and playing, and that is what I am excited about. I see them practicing in the morning around the cottages and silo. That’s what you have to do when you only have four practice barns. Anyway, I started my Thursday morning with the string sectional, led by the wonderful concertmaster PaƧ. He is so passionate when it comes to Puccini and Madama Butterfly. Unfortunately, that was all I got to see.
After lunch, I was assigned to drive out to Shenandoah University to pick up four percussion trap tables and a suspended cymbal stand from one of the percussion teachers. He was a delight to meet. The traffic heading back? Not so delightful. It took me an hour to get off I-81, and then an additional hour to get back to Castleton. Luckily everthing made it to its destination safe and sound.
That evening, I joined my fellow interns for a night at the movies and Chilli’s. Best tableside guac I ever had. Also, Maleficient was not as bad as I had originally thought. I actually enjoyed it. But I digress that the real point it that I am actually making some awesome friends and we are really getting along. Which is good, because I have to live and work with them for two months. But then again, who wouldn’t want to work with such amazing people and brilliant talents.
Speaking of brilliant talents, I began this Friday morning at the winds and brass sectional for Don Giovanni. Chills! It was so good. And these musicians have only had the music for a few days at the most. The assistant counductor Maestro Repicky was so insightful about the history and plot of the opera. He even relealed a few double entendres. Later that afternoon, Maestro Moore, assistant conductor for Madama Butterfly, led the winds and brass sectional. It was another spine chillingly wonderful rehearsal led by another incredibly insightful conductor. He even was singing along with the score, having quite the baritone vocal skills.
Entrance at Morning
After a long day, I did laundry and had some help cleaning up the house before the rest of the roommates came back from the wine tasting event out in Culpepper. We had another night of Cards Against Humanities, some of the players not understanding references, making it twice as hilarious. But we took a break to walk outside to enjoy the beautifully clear night sky and the dazzling firefly display. Plus, I managed to fall off the trampoline that happens to be on our property. Good Times.
But now that the evening has settled, I write these words down in anticipation of more things to come, especially since we have our first orchestra run through of Madama Butterfly tommorrow morning. I look forward to the inspiring sounds of a professional level orchestra. Let the magic begin.


Until next Saturday, this has been another edition of The Castleton Diaries. Now, here is a photo of a Zonkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment