Monday, June 30, 2014

The Castleton Diaries- Week 5: How to Keep Calm and Carry On with Allergies

By the time this goes online, it will be Monday, late by 2 days. Well, I have my reasons. I've been so busy with my job that I haven't been able to process everything that has happened.

Rehearsals man! Physically and mentally draining. 6 hours a day on one show. Staging, music, tech. These three things must be perfected before the work can go before an audience. But when it does, boy is it beautiful.

Butterfly set
So essentially we had a rehearsal every day this week, only one break per rehearsal, plus lunch and dinner. I have to be on my toes when my boss isn't in the room, due to a flood of daily emails and calls. But luckily, nothing severe has happened apart from the swallowing of flies by singers and one minor glockenspiel snafu. I had to put all the keys back on after we accidentally unloaded it upside down. Thanks to perfect pitch (and the fact that the notes were etched onto the keys) it took no time at all.
Theater House Stage, Bradley Moore at Piano, Daniel Lelchuk with Cello
I went to Sperryville for an off the clock event: US vs Portugal. What a game. So many people atvthe bar were screaming and shouting. Probably hadn't been that excited about soccer in a while. Before the game, I walked around town. So many sweet little shops. And then I bought a copy of The Piedmont Virginian at the corner store. Why? The Castleton Festival program was inside. I found my name!! I was so thrilled. Just think, my name is attached to a major opera festival. It puts things into perspective. It was also amazing to read about the singers and musicians participating. I then bought the most delicious goat milk caramels I ever tasted. It was a good Sunday.
Bridge over river in Sperryville
Stress levels were at an all time high. Which is probably why I was so susceptible to summer allergies. Oy vey! I'm surrounded by musicians and singers that need to stay healthy, and I'm in the back sneezing and coughing with a runny nose. (In a nasally tone: too many tissues, so much cough syrup, and all the hand sanitizer!!). Luckily, no one got seriously sick before opening night. Did Maestro Maazel conduct? No. Did the Assistant Conductor do a fantastic job? Hell Yes! Madama Butterfly's opening night was wonderful. But boy was I uneasy. Between running around, being medicated for my allergies, and just the lack of energy due to late nights, I don't know how I managed to not explode. Honestly I love working here, but the responsibility I am given has not been the easiest thing to carry on my back. Plus, THE BUGS!! I hate the bugs in Virginia. I miss the lack of weird flying creatures that buzz on Long Island. But luckily, I have bosses and coworkers that care about me, which I am so lucky to have.
Tchaikovsky Wax Figure in Theater House
To tell you the truth, I am probably not going to make a career out of managing orchestras, but now I have a greater respect for the people who work at places like The Metropolitan Opera and The NY Philharmonic, who deal with this kind if stuff on a 24/7/365 schedule. Also, watching Donald Runnicles conduct was pretty awesome. Can't wait for Alisa Weilerstein to get here.

I will be back on Saturday. Until then, this has been The Castleton Diaries.
Knick Knacks at Pink House

No comments:

Post a Comment