Sunday, January 1, 2012

The trouble with the mainstream

I am an outsider. I am an individual. In short, I am not part of the mainstream. I've known this for a long time. I have about 7 or 8 subscribers on YouTube, 58 followers on Tumblr, and only 40 or so fans on Facebook. These are either total strangers or friends, which is ok because you need to know that your friends have your back.
I have not always had the best feedback from people, and sometimes none at all. Those random comments that tell you to go die in a whole, those people are called trolls, and we pay no mind to them. They don't know about our life and how much we have accomplished. But people like me, those unknown people who plan to change the world, will never be truly understood.
And I have quite an amount of experience involving music. I've been playing and reading music since 4th grade. I always had high marks in state testing in viola, which in turn allowed me to participate in musical festivals for 8 years. I attended Usdan arts camp for 6 years, working in choruses orchestras and chamber groups. I was also a member of Gemini Youth Orchestras for 3 years. These have given me opportunities to expand my repertoire and work with some of the best professionals on Long Island and NY state. My musical knowledge starts with the first chants and continues onward to today. True there may be large gaps, but I'm filling them in bit by bit.
I attend one of the best NY colleges for music, Hofstra University. I work with teachers who daily put my abilities to the test. I have a collection of opera and orchestral scores that I read and study often. I attend concerts at Lincoln Center almost religiously, or more likely when I'm free and can pay, which is actually more often than one would expect.
So, if I have to wait 4 years for my degree to get the proper attention, it's ok. Until then, I would like some practice helping to bring classical music to places where it needs attention and to prepare myself for when I become a teacher.
So please, don't mind that I'm not popular, just still listen to what I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment